RE: Query on stacktrace management logic

From: David Holmes
Subject: RE: Query on stacktrace management logic
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 08:24:59 +1000

> Jeroen Frijters wrote:
> The reference implementation of VMClass will not have any instance
> members, but VMs might choose to add instance state. However, after
> thinking about it some more, I think it would be better to just add an
> instance member to Class, called vmState (or whatever) of type Object.
> That is more flexible (at the cost of additional downcasts).
>
> The only overhead for you is the unused vmState reference field in each
> Class instance.

That sounds like a better general design. But to be frank we're not likely
to use Class/VMClass in this way. Our Class already requires an "opaque"
reference to a VM internal "type mirror", and we chose our own strategy for
populating the reflective information for a Class instance. On top of that
there's the static initializer in Class that we can't have. Hence we'll most
likely stick with providing our own version of java.lang.Class.

David Holmes