RE: Query on stacktrace management logic

From: David P Grove
Subject: RE: Query on stacktrace management logic
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 20:15:01 -0500

> Jeroen Frijters wrote:
> The reference implementation of VMClass will not have any instance
> members, but VMs might choose to add instance state. However, after
> thinking about it some more, I think it would be better to just add an
> instance member to Class, called vmState (or whatever) of type Object.
> That is more flexible (at the cost of additional downcasts).
>
> The only overhead for you is the unused vmState reference field in each
> Class instance.

This sounds like a reasonable approach to me too.  Jikes RVM currently uses its own implementation of java.lang.Class, but we might be able to switch over to something like this.  Having the vmstate be of type Object having  VMClass be all static methods will be easier for us to migrate to than the current design.

--dave