RE: currentClassLoader problem

From: David Holmes
Subject: RE: currentClassLoader problem
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 09:48:03 +1000

Archie Cobbs wrote:
> Is is correct that getSystemClassLoaderInternal() is a gcj-specific
> method? And why is native code needed, i.e., why can't you just
> load an instance of gnu.java.lang.SystemClassLoader (or
> gnu.gcj.runtime.VMClassLoader in gcj's case) using the bootstrap
> loader, and then use it to load the user-specified class loader?

Given that this all occurs at bootstrap time when the only pre-existing
loader is the "null" bootstrap loader why not just instantiate the default
system loader directly rather than using Class.forName? The construction
will implicitly load the class using the internal VM mechanism associated
with doing "new".

As I mentioned before I don't think Class.forName would actually work in our
system at this stage of the game.

David Holmes