Re: VMRuntime.insertSystemProperties(); java.ext.dirs

From: Steven Augart
Subject: Re: VMRuntime.insertSystemProperties(); java.ext.dirs
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 06:38:29 -0500

David Holmes wrote:
[...]
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/extensions/index.html
[...]

When the VM starts up it should create the extensions classloader, with the
bootstrap loader as parent, then create the system/application class loader
with the extensions loader as parent.
This is clearly the right thing to do. Wow, yet another class loader for me to add to the stack.

Also note that once you start playing this game the role of the context
classloader for a thread becomes much more important :)

I assume that's for the applications programmers to worry about, no? Or are there particular gotchas for the VM?

Hope this helps.

Yes, a lot. Thanks for that reference. A lot of information. Java is even more complicated than I had feared.

I just closed a defect report about the properties Jikes RVM sets in VMRuntime. I can see that I'm going to have to reopen it until I take care of user.timezone and java.ext.dirs properly.

--Steven Augart