Re: Classpath build process and VM-specific issues

From: Etienne Gagnon
Subject: Re: Classpath build process and VM-specific issues
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 14:09:13 -0400

Per Bothner wrote:
> ....  I can see on a few JVMs it may cause problems,
> but they can easily sed the source to convert RawData to long.
> Just think of RawData has a macro.

I am starting to have difficulty understanding Classpath's goals and motivations.

When I proposed to add to Classpath some mechanism to allow it to be customized to each VM, I was told that it would be a heresy to encode any VM-specific thing into Classpath, as the vision was: a single Classpath installation would be shared by many VMs on a single system, e.g. common class libraries, common JNI libraries, etc.

Now, what you are proposing is that JNI libraries would be compiled specifically for each VM. What have I missed?

Etienne

--
Etienne M. Gagnon, Ph.D.             http://www.info.uqam.ca/~egagnon/