Re: GNU Classpath 0.09 release (not yet, but pre1 available)

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: GNU Classpath 0.09 release (not yet, but pre1 available)
Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 20:33:37 +0200

Hi all,

On Sat, 2004-05-01 at 02:51, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> Before we release I want to have done the following:
>
> - FileChannel.truncate() bug fix (see commit-classpath, already in above
>   pre-release).

This has been reviewed and committed.

> - Check whether to reimport new GNU JAXP (probably a version before the
>   libxmlj integration since that is to big a change)

We have now imported the 2004-02-01 version of GNU JAXP.
This is a version just before libxmlj was imported upstream. This means
that we have most of the bug fixes, but not the new (C) files that might
have needed updating our build system for these external libraries.

> - Check (VM)Process (PATH) environment passing.

Didn't do this anymore. I was waiting for an updated JamVM from Robert
to see how far we could get Eclipse going. For now just start Eclipse
with PATH=.:$PATH ./eclipse -vm /path/to/bin/jamvm -consoleLog -verbose
(It won't work though since Robert is fixing a GetJavaVM() JNI issue.)

> - Make "official" mauve-results list.

Guilhem his patch fixed a couple of regressions and in general
Here is a completely unofficial (and unanalyzed) results file:
http://www.klomp.org/mark/classpath/classpath-0.09-pre2-jamvm-mauve.results

> - Recheck visual test engine.

This now works again with Michael his patch to put back some missing
native methods. But unfortunately out swingtest example is broken :(
[An infinite recursion from Component to JComponent.]

> - Recheck API documentation generation (either with native gjdoc or the
>   one now included in kaffe CVS)

GNU Classpath has grown again and gjdoc takes more then two and half
hours with 170M on my machine :{ Found some small HTML entity issues
which have been fixed. Results can be seen at:
http://www.klomp.org/mark/classpath/doc/api/html/

Unfortunately we will have to fix some things with gjdoc (copyright
statements, images, etc.) to have a real official page with the docs.

> - Add text/explanation about runtime VM classes from workshop paper
>   (and recent mailinglist discussion) to Integration Guide.
> - Create Release Announcements
>   - Add everything new to NEWS file (please contribute!)
>   - Mailinglist announcement/Savannah news entry.
>   - Update Free Software Directory entry.

As always the documentation is still waiting for an update.
I will get some food now and go to the movies first before finishing
this. I don't expect any code changes now. New pre-release can be found
at: http://www.klomp.org/mark/classpath/classpath-0.09-pre2.tar.gz

Again when using JamVM you want to apply the patches posted at
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/classpath/2004-04/msg00312.html
(Otherwise for example Runtime.exec() won't work.)

The JikesRVM team (Steven) reported that CVS also works nicely for them
out of the box.