Re: Task: java.awt.geom.GeneralPath

From: Sven de Marothy
Subject: Re: Task: java.awt.geom.GeneralPath
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 01:08:39 +0200

> > > Should one aim at reproducing the Sun implementation, or at being
> > > a 'correct' one?
> >
> > It is my understanding that we implement the spec; so bugs in Suns
> > code are not relevant information for us.
>
> Thats not totally true, we have some places where we imitate bugs in
> SUNs JDK to stay compatible for apps depending on this bug.

Well, I doubt very many apps depend on the bugs I've found so far,
they're mostly of the numerical-error type, and those are to be
expected to a certain extent when dealing with Beziers.
Although the consequences of this one can sometimes be rather
dramatic.

If anyone would like to see a dramatic example:
http://www.qc.physto.se/~sven/ContainsBug.java
displays a CubicCurve2D where the entire line y=151 left of the
starting point is considered 'inside'. Obviously, someone at Sun forgot
the hazards surrounding the special-case of endpoints.

(Yes, I'll be submitting an implementation without this bug soon.)

/Sven