Re: classpath-0.10-pre1 available

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: classpath-0.10-pre1 available
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 20:35:45 +0200

Hi David,

On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 00:58, David P Grove wrote:
> I built Jikes RVM with 0.10-pre1 on Linux/x86 and ran a few trivial
> programs without any problems.  I'm running a more serious regression
> test on Linux/x86 now, but that will take 6-8 hours to finish.
>
> Haven't had a chance to try on any of Jikes RVM's other platforms
> (Linux/AIX/OSX PowerPC and 64 bit AIX/Linux PowerPC).

Thanks for testing.

Just looked at your regression mailinglist
http://www-124.ibm.com/pipermail/jikesrvm-regression/
and see that on Tue, 29 Jun 2004 05:42:55 -0400 there is a report about
classpath CVS head regression SUCCEEDED; 0 mauve failures but after that
date there seems to be always either script trouble or one regression
failure in prototype: Failed in SPECjbb2000. Do you know more about what
caused that?

I now have a working rvm (CVS) + GNU Classpath 0.10-pre1 prototype build
working my self and it looks OKish. But not perfect.

The good thing is that it indeed just works out of the box with a GNU
Classpath build (just point it to the install dir and off you go!).

The Mauve results look good. But there seem to be some trouble with
serialization (reflection?) and networking. This is not new however (I
compared the result with mauve results that I made back in April.)

None of the AWT test work however. I will try to get Steve his patch in
if it doesn't break any other compiler/runtime. Since the rest works out
of the box and John Leuner created a classpath-common package for Debian
that is used by jikes, kissme and jamvm now already it would be nice to
share this work with the Jikes RVM project. Especially since Steven
Augart worked so hard on both the portable-native-sync patch and the
Debian packages.

What also doesn't work is eclipse, neither 3.0 nor 2.1.2. I know 2.1.2
used to work in the past. The attached stacktrace indicates that there
is something wrong with the JNI Get_JavaVM() method. If that is the case
then the GTK+ AWT peers will also not work since the JNI threading
support depends on it.

For people that want to play with jikes rvm and GNU Classpath 0.10
themselves you need to follow the manual closely:
http://www-124.ibm.com/developerworks/oss/jikesrvm/userguide/HTML/Bootstrapping_with_Kaffe.html

You need precisely the tools listed there. The jikes (byte code
compiler) and kaffe (bootstrapping runtime) in Debian testing/unstable
won't work. You will need the 1.1.9 and 1.1.4 versions.
ftp://www-126.ibm.com/pub/jikes/1.19/jikes-1.19.tar.bz2
ftp://ftp.kaffe.org/pub/kaffe/v1.1.x-development/kaffe-1.1.4.tar.gz
With those and the attached i686-pc-linux-gnu.kaffe.mjw config file you
should be able to at least build a prototype build when you comment out
the following line in i686-pc-linux-gnu.kaffe
# export RVM_FOR_SINGLE_VIRTUAL_PROCESSOR=0
The glibc that comes with Debian testing/unstable doesn't support this
setting. You can just use the same installed GNU Classpath 0.10 (pre)
which you use with jikes, jamvm or kissme normally.