Merging crypto into classpath

From: Casey Marshall
Subject: Merging crypto into classpath
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 12:09:09 -0700

We've recently gotten an OK to merge the parts of the Java class
library implemented by GNU Crypto [1] and Jessie [2] into GNU
Classpath. All of these classes are related to cryptography, which is
why they have been kept separate from GNU Classpath. By merging these,
Classpath will become more compliant with the 1.4 API specification
without the need to install additional software.

The patch to do this is pretty big, so I am not going to post it to
the list. The patch, and change log, can be found here:

   <http://syzygy.metastatic.org/crypto.patch.gz>
   <http://syzygy.metastatic.org/crypto.ChangeLog>

I think it is generally agreed that having these packages in Classpath
is a good thing (but maybe not universally -- please speak up if you
have a comment), so I am posting this message mainly to vet this
rather large change before it gets committed. So please comment if I
have left anything out, and please do voice your opinion about this
merge, if we have not heard it yet.

Casey Marshall || address@hidden

1. Packages javax.crypto, javax.security.auth, org.ietf.jgss, and
   their subpackages. <http://www.gnu.org/software/gnu-crypto/>
2. Packages javax.net, javax.net.ssl, and javax.security.cert.
   <http://www.nongnu.org/jessie/>