RE: TimeZone

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: RE: TimeZone
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 23:20:53 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 20:44, Jeroen Frijters wrote:
> Upon reflection (and some more experiments) the code doesn't seem to
> make any sense to me.

The TimeZone.getDefaultTimeZone(String) should have enough documentation
of how the format is interpreted. It is derived from (a simplified
version of) how POSIX defines this. All VMTimezone implementations are
POSIX/GNU specific at the moment.
Is this hard for you to implement in IKVM?
How did you do this in the previous version of TimeZone (which was even
more buggy and broken than the current version)?

>  On the Sun VM, if the abs(offset) is greater than
> 24 it is interpreted as Hours * 100 + Minutes, instead of the seconds
> that Classpath uses.

I haven't found a specification of what user.timezone could actually be
set to and how that string is interpreted except for the fact that it
can be exactly one of the timezone names mentioned in the TimeZone
documentation. If there is a real specification then we should translate
that to our specification (or adapt our specification and all platform
dependend methods that now depend on our specification to the
specification of user.timezone, but that is probably much more work).