java.lang.System changes

From: Steven Augart
Subject: java.lang.System changes
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 18:11:24 -0500

Classpath's java.lang.System was changed yesterday so that
initializing that class now depends upon
VMClassLoader.getSystemClassLoader() being able to return a working
class loader.

Unfortunately, Jikes RVM's system class loader is based upon
Classpath's java.lang.URLClassLoader.  java.lang.URLClassLoader
requires java.lang.URL to be initialized.  And java.lang.URL, in
*its* initialization, makes a call to
java.lang.System.getProperty().   Which needs java.lang.System to be
initialized.

The only way that I can make Jikes RVM work with this new dependency
is to give up on using Classpath's java.net.URLClassLoader as the base
for our system and application class loader implementation.

If someone knows of a significantly better class for us to use as a
base, I could probably be convinced to do some revision.  But this
change keeps us from working with Classpath CVS head right now.

--Steve Augart