Re: Which JVM?

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: Which JVM?
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 13:50:15 +0100

Hi Thomas,

On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 12:29, Thomas Zander wrote:
> I still really like to try out classpath, I want to see how much has been
> done, and I'd like to actually start writing mauve tests based on where
> classpath still fails.
> But just like 6 months ago I can't seem to find any JVMs that actually use
> it.  I feel really dissapointed about this, why is this such a low
> priority!?

Please see the instructions from the latest release announcement:
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/announce/20041115.html

> 1). Who should use this software?
>
> Although GNU Classpath is already capable of supporting many
> applications written in the java programming language, this is a
> development release. As such, there are still some unfinished
> components, and some problems are to be expected. You should install it
> if you are interested in GNU Classpath development or reporting bugs.
> We appreciate both.
>
> For end users we recommend to use one of the development environments
> based on GNU Classpath which combine the core libraries with compilers
> and other tools needed for creating applications and libraries.
>
>     * GCC with GCJ  (http://gcc.gnu.org/java/)
>     * Kaffe         (http://www.kaffe.org/)

Both these projects keep up with GNU Classpath CVS so if you want the
latest and createst you should use GCC 4.0 (CVS) or kaffe CVS. Both
projects have very helpful and active mailinglists.

> 2). What is required to build/install/run?
>
> GNU Classpath requires a working GNU build environment and a byte code
> compiler such as jikes, gcj or kjc. When creating native code you will
> also need a working C compiler and up to date Gnome development
> libraries (gtk+, libart and gdk-pixbuf). More information on the
> precise version numbers for the tools and libraries can be found in
> the INSTALL file.
>
> You will also need a runtime environment. The following runtime
> environments should work out of the box with GNU Classpath
>
>     * JamVM         (http://jamvm.sourceforge.net/)
>     * Jikes RVM     (http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/oss/jikesrvm/)
>     * Kissme        (http://kissme.sourceforge.net/)
>
> Note that these are just byte code execution runtimes. For development
> of programs written in the java programming language you will also
> need compilers and other tools for creating libraries and/or
> executables (see question 1).
>
> For other environments that might need modified version of the current
> release see the README file.  A complete list of virtual machines and
> compilers known to be based on GNU Classpath can be found at our
> website: http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/stories.html

The above runtimes work out of the box with the last release (0.12). For
CVS you sometimes need some little tweaks. (If you followed the
[classpath-patches] mailinglist you will have noticed that we changed
some VM interface classes last week that required some updates to the
various runtimes.) Again see the various mailinglists of the different
projects based on GNU Classpath.

If you need some real-time help please hop onto #classpath at
irc.gnu.org where there are almost always people to help you get
started.