Documentation generated with gjdoc

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Documentation generated with gjdoc
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 14:25:20 +0100

Hi,

I just send a patch to classpath-patches to make our gjdoc documentation
generation work again. To give you an impression how it currently looks
I have build --with-gjdoc (using native gnujaxp and gjdoc) and put the
results at http://developer.classpath.org/doc/

The options used to generate this output are:

        $(GJDOC) -public -use \
        -sourcepath "$(sourcepath)" \
        -encoding UTF-8 \
        -breakiterator \
        -licensetext \
        -linksource \
        -splitindex \
        -d html \
        -doctitle "GNU Classpath $(VERSION)" \
        -windowtitle "GNU Classpath $(VERSION) Documentation" \
        -header $(classpathbox) -footer $(classpathbox) \
        -subpackages java:javax:org

Where VERSION is 0.13 and classpathbox is: "<span class='navbar item
enabled'><a href='http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath'>GNU
Classpath</a> ($(VERSION))"

I deliberately didn't include any gnu packages at the moment. We first
have to think long and hard which ones (gnu.regex, gnu.xml,
gnu.java.net?) we want to encourage others to use. We will have to make
sure we keep those classes and interfaces stable in the future in that
case. For now we should tell people they are obviously free to use them
however they want, but they can keep the pieces of the broken program if
they rely on them.

As you can see some documentation is already excellent. While others
still need a lot of work. What we are really missing is good overviews
to explain people where to start. It would be nice to have a kind of
roadmap on the overview page where/how to start using the library to
create some real world programs.

Suggestions for layout, stylesheets, etc are very welcome.