Re: Devel Digest, Vol 12, Issue 6

From: Soumyadip Modak
Subject: Re: Devel Digest, Vol 12, Issue 6
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 08:45:30 +0530

Martin Kauss <address@hidden> wrote
 Hi,

 the configure just checks the system dependencies to build the
 system. The needed libraries are not checked until the compile
 process, JFYI.

 The questions was asked some month ago for a Debian package as well.
 I tried to build Open-Xchange some time ago with GNU Classpath, but
 specially for mail, necessary methods and functions are just missing.

So what I understand is this: (Correct me if I'm wrong)
1. Problems with servlets are solvable with free Java tools, and these are not major showstoppers
2. Base64 and Parserdelegator problems need some work
3. Main problem is that the free Javamail does not implement some methods that are needed by OX.

Is it possible for the OX developers to work with the Classpath developers to resolve these problems ? As far as I can understand there is no major bottleneck other than some missing functionality, and I'm sure that the Classpath people would love to have people collaborating with them. :)

 We are just providing a collaboration framework and that is our
 focus. This means, if the functionality is covered by any other
 package than Sun's Javamail package one can build OX with this
 packages.

 Currently - AFAIK - this is not possible.

 The other question is what you mean with "extensive free Java tools"
 ... for some ppl. also packages offered by Sun/IBM/Bea are "free" ...

I generally refer to the Debian Free Software Guidelines for my definition of Free software :)

http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines

Thanks a lot
--
Soumyadip Modak