Re: New volunteer needing task

From: Chris Nokleberg
Subject: Re: New volunteer needing task
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:25:32 -0700

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 00:38:29 +1000, Dimitri Koussa wrote:
> I searched the mailing list and found this:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/classpath/2002-07/msg00013.html
> Although it does not show whether the class was written or not.

Hi,

I never got around to properly contributing the code (I'm not sure AWT was
really in a proper state at the time). It is LGPL so do with it what you
will.

I'm actually just about to release version 2.0. The main changes are:
 - Requires Java 1.2 instead of 1.1
 - Uses BufferedImage instead of Image
 - Smaller, faster, etc. At least as fast as the current ImageIO plugin.

2.0 will be released under GPL+exception (same as Classpath) and is
probably a better starting point, as long as all the java.awt.image
infrastructure is in place. See the "javapng2" module in CVS. For use with
Classpath it's probably just a matter of wrapping the code up in the
proper ImageIO interfaces.

Chris
http://sixlegs.com/software/png/