Re: Differences to Java

From: Thomas Zander
Subject: Re: Differences to Java
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 09:01:37 +0200

On Saturday 24 September 2005 18:45, theUser BL wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Look at my comment at
> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=1510&tstart=0
>
> It seems, that GNU Classpath handles the layout different to Suns Java.
>
> The GNU version makes more sense for me. But I am not sure, if Suns
> version is that, how it is written in the standardization (one of Suns
> books).
>
> So, is the bug in GNU Classpath or in Suns Java?

Since there is no specification as to how this class should work, the sun
implementation is right.
The description given in the reply of the thread you pasted makes sense.
Well, it describes the logic I see in Suns layouter, but its not logical
to me.

The javadoc of Suns implementation does not go deeply enough to explain
what happenes as to say this is wrong, and as I have seen before, if we
claim suns implementation is inconsistent with the docs, they are likely
to change the docs.

Therefor I suggest to experiment with the layout until you are sure about
how it works and reimplement that in mauve/classpath with the proper docs
explaining how things _actually_ work.

Cheers!
--
Thomas Zander