classpathx-discuss

[Classpathx-discuss] Commercial use of "classpathx/jaxp/source/gnu/xml/u

From: Hugh Greene
Subject: [Classpathx-discuss] Commercial use of "classpathx/jaxp/source/gnu/xml/util" classes?
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 19:49:12 +0100

Hi there, and apologies if this is the wrong list to post to.

I see from your archives (thread "Licenses" in July 2001) that you seem to intend most of your code to be usable in commercial projects, under something like the LGPL. That's good, because the classes under "classpathx/jaxp/source/gnu/xml/util" would be really handy for me just now :-) I could use JDOM <http://www.jdom.org/> but it's overkill for me, since the only bit I really want is the ability to output a DOM Document to a file (as XHTML). However, at the moment these files in your CVS repository (at least, as seen from <http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group_id=139>) all contain comments saying that they're GPL'ed.

Assuming you're willing to change these to LGPL (or whatever "GPL+exception" you want), would I be free to omit some classes from an application distribution, if I didn't need them? I presume so, but I thought I'd I ask anyway, as you don't have any pre-packaged JARs on your site, or comments about how to redistribute the classes together (as far as I could see).

I could just re-do this part myself (and I might have to anyway, as my boss wants something done in the next couple of days), but I'm all for software re-use :-)

Thanks for any help,
Hugh Greene