classpathx-discuss

Re: [Classpathx-discuss] Commercial use of "classpathx/jaxp/source/gnu/x

From: Ben Speakmon
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-discuss] Commercial use of "classpathx/jaxp/source/gnu/xml/util" classes?
Date: 21 Aug 2001 15:00:19 -0400

On 21 Aug 2001 19:49:12 +0100, Hugh Greene wrote:

> I see from your archives (thread "Licenses" in July 2001) that you seem to
> intend most of your code to be usable in commercial projects, under
> something like the LGPL.  That's good, because the classes under
> "classpathx/jaxp/source/gnu/xml/util" would be really handy for me just now
> :-)  I could use JDOM <http://www.jdom.org/> but it's overkill for me,
> since the only bit I really want is the ability to output a DOM Document to
> a file (as XHTML).  However, at the moment these files in your CVS
> repository (at least, as seen from
> <http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group_id=139>) all contain comments saying
> that they're GPL'ed.
>
> Assuming you're willing to change these to LGPL (or whatever
> "GPL+exception" you want), would I be free to omit some classes from an
> application distribution, if I didn't need them?  I presume so, but I
> thought I'd I ask anyway, as you don't have any pre-packaged JARs on your
> site, or comments about how to redistribute the classes together (as far as
> I could see).

If I understand correctly, you want to use LGPL'd/GPL+exception classes
in your proprietary app for some purpose and you wish to redistribute
those classes with your app. This in itself is probably okay as long as
you make no changes whatsoever to the covered classes. If you're not
going to redistribute this combined proprietary/GPL'd code, you can do
whatever you want with it (though we would of course like to have any
useful improvements or bugfixes. :)

For a definitive, final answer, you might want to wait for the project
lead to ring in. Any comments, Nic?

--
Ben Speakmon - address@hidden

"Software is like sex -- it's better when it's free."
        -- Linus Torvalds