classpathx-discuss

[Classpathx-discuss] Commerical use of classpathx code

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: [Classpathx-discuss] Commerical use of classpathx code
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 00:33:16 +0100

> For a definitive, final answer, you might want to wait for the project
> lead to ring in. Any comments, Nic?

I will be clairifying the position with classpathx as soon as all the
classpathx developers are happy to gpl+excep their code (andrew still
has some issues - any others?) and when I have some time to make a
reasonable fist of explaining what the licence is and doing some
templates for licence files and so forth.

The position with Dave's JAXP stuff, as I understand it, is that it IS
GPL+exceptioned and therefore you can link it against whatever you
like (as long as you don't change it).

Dave can confirm that I'm sure.

My understanding of changes is that you have to textually change
something before you get the GPL virus.

Since you're only removing parts of the distrib it would technically
be possible.

I would ask you not to do that if you can avoid it though - if someone
were to use your hacked version of the distrib then they might be
suprised at the missing functionality.

As far as statements about GPL+exception go the current FSF standard
is to put the exception statement in every file that is covered by the
exception. That may well change in the very near future, especially
for ClasspathX developers (we may have a general licence exception
that covers ALL source code).

Hope that answers your questions, I am struggling with a change of
site (and of mailing system) so I'm not as communicative as I normally
might be... rest assured that if you ask stuff here I will
(eventually) get round to answering it.

I've not had much time in the last few weeks to devote to ClasspathX
(what with working, pergnant wife and a million weddings to go to) but
as from this weekend I'm much freer and will be putting in time on the
mail stuff as well as on the general project admin.

I particularly want to sort out the issue about GPL+excep of all the
non-FSF code. So far this means everything not in javax.servlet!

Nic Ferrier