classpathx-xml

Re: [Classpathx-xml] Errors building GNU JAXP 1.1 with Cygwin

From: Chris Burdess
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-xml] Errors building GNU JAXP 1.1 with Cygwin
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 14:10:30 +0100

Phil Shaw wrote:
I'll try and help if I can. My comfort zone is Java, but I'm willing
to learn. If you could give me some notes on what to do to extend the
build to Cygwin, I will make that my task.

Basically you will have to change acinclude.m4 to test for cygwin, and set the various build variables (SOSUFFIX, JMODSUFFIX, etc). Because cygwin DSOs don't have the "lib" prefix, you might have to do something for prefix as well as suffix.

I separated the various parts of acinclude.m4 out into different files in the aclocal directory, so modify them (sosuffix.ac) there and then do

  cat aclocal/*.ac >acinclude.m4

to make the final acinclude file.

If you add prefix-handling code, you need to modify Makefile.am to get it to be reflected in the build: grep for JMODSUFFIX for the lines that need to be changed. Afterwards you need to do aclocal, automake etc before reconfiguring.

I'm new to this project, so forgive the naive question. May I ask why
are you using the libxml parser rather than a pure Java parser? Is
this an interim measure?

GNU JAXP includes both a 100% Java parser (Ælfred and the GNU DOM implementation) and the libxmlj parser which uses libxml2. The two serve different purposes: Ælfred + GNU DOM is easier to deploy, while libxmlj is very fast and has support for additional features such as XPath and XSLT transformations.

There should probably be a configuration option not to build one or other of these; again, build system patches would be greatly appreciated!
--
Chris Burdess