cons-discuss

AfterBuild, Dynamic target/dynamic dependencies: How?

From: Zachary Deretsky
Subject: AfterBuild, Dynamic target/dynamic dependencies: How?
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 12:35:57 -0800

It seems, there is enough interest in Gary's AfterBuild pathch and the
dynamic target issue, so I am posting my questions again.

I implemented Steven's straight perl approach, but it did not work beacause
cons did not install the required files from sibling sub-projects before
running the Command which needed them as sources.

My steps and questions:

A. Take [qw(input1.txt input2.txt)] and generate a list
of python files @python_files and/or a text file with this
list, python_files.txt. Some of these python files are repository
files and some are being built and installed into the $EXPORT
tree by the parallel Conscripts.

I succeeded in writing the Command method whith [perl] clause to call a
function which creates @python_files (local to that function) and
python_files.txt.

python_files.txt gets written to the disk and that is where my success
stops.

The BIG question is how do I make @python_files visible in my Conscript and
how do I make the next step depend on this list, so that the files in the
list are built and installed before the next step, B., is run?

B. Take the result of A., @python_files or python_files.txt
and generate a parallel list @c_files and/or text file, c_files.txt.

Again, if I succeed in B., how do I make the list @c_files visible in my
Conscript, so that this list is valid for <sources> for the Program method
in C.?

C. Take the list from B., append one more c source file, main.c
and call the Program method to obtain result.exe

Please help, Zach.