cons-discuss

Re: CONS specs update?

From: Pierre THIERRY
Subject: Re: CONS specs update?
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 08:19:29 +0200

> OK, I added a bunch of stuff to the page. :-) I'm not sure how useful
> it is...

It definitely is. I refactoring it much, to bring consistency between
the various descriptions, and I'm thinking of some merges. I need some
light on the following subjects:

- isn't building a shared library just building an executable, as for a
  static one or for a program, being a matter of options? (this seems to
  be the case for at least GNU, Intel and Solaris C compilers)
- is Lilypond different then any other TeX format? (in the way it is
  called, not the files it produced)
- are there other parser generators than the lex and yacc families? I
  know ones for both types that target at C/C++ and ML, are there also
  other targets?

> I wanted to add a page on custom code generators, but I wasn't sure if
> it belonged there because it's just a broad scheme that may be used.

We should assume that at any stage, the user could want to add a pre- or
post-processor to modify a source or result file.

We should provide an interface to add such processors, as the main issue
is that some of them don't actually have a result file, but modify an
existing one (so we can't treat them as normal steps in the build
process).

Quickly,
le Moine Fou
--