cons-discuss

Re: CONS specs update?

From: Vaclav Barta
Subject: Re: CONS specs update?
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 17:01:40 +0200

On Thursday 24 June 2004 10:26 pm, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > - are there other parser generators than the lex and yacc families? I
ASN.1 parser generators generate code which parses data structures, for
example. Analogically, an XML tool may generate binding from an XML Schema.
Popular target languages for this kind of thing are C, C++ and Java, but I'll
bet there's more...

> > We should provide an interface to add such processors, as the main issue
> > is that some of them don't actually have a result file, but modify an
> > existing one (so we can't treat them as normal steps in the build
> > process).
> Ideally, though, I'd prefer to treat them as separate steps. I don't
> like the idea of a file modified in-place (i.e., processingtool.pl
> reads in abc.c and writes a modified version replacing abc.c).
Then prepare to build across directories - there are steps (adding
a key to a .NET DLL, for example) which *must not* change the name of the
file.

        Bye
                Vasek