Re: Another rfe: "cp" this time

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: Another rfe: "cp" this time
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 10:15:45 -0700

Thank you for the suggestions.  I did finish my particular task with rsync,
but I'd still like something that finishes in less than 10 hours.  It is longer
than my work day.   Please note:  my only access is with a CIFS mount.
*NO* shell access.  Thus, anything depending upon remote commands
doesn't work.  This is not the only Windows-centric shop I've seen.

2012/4/27 Pádraig Brady <address@hidden>:
>> I can either add this to cp, or roll my own toy.  What say you?
>
> Yes, cp is bad for high latency links as it has a
> 32KiB buffer which it serially reads to and writes from.

The throughput is going to be dependent upon how much data CIFS
sends without an ACK.  e.g. 1500 bytes would mean 20 round trips
to fill the 30KB buffer.

> Ideally you would have a process on each side of the link,

Won't work.  :(