Re: Enhancement request for tee - please add the option to not quit on S

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Enhancement request for tee - please add the option to not quit on SIGPIPE when someother files are still opened
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 16:01:16 -0700

Bernhard Voelker wrote:
> I'm not convinced that a new --no-stdout option is warranted:
> why not simply redirect stdout to the last fifo?
>
>   cat /dev/zero | head -c500M \
>     | (/dev/shm/AAA/coreutils-8.24/src/tee -p \
>          $d/fifo1 $d/fifo2 $d/fifo3 > $d/fifo4 ) 2>&1 \
>     | > tee $d/run.log &

Of course!  It was so obvious that we missed seeing it!  Simply do a
normal redirect of stdout to the process.  Thanks Bernhard for
pointing this out.

This is also true of the >(process substitutions) too.

  echo foo | tee >(sleep 2 && cat) > >(sleep 5 && cat)

This really argues against any need for --no-stdout.  Because if one
wants --no-stdout it means one has forgotten about a normal
redirection.

Bob