Re: Enhancement request for tee - please add the option to not quit on S

From: Jirka Hladky
Subject: Re: Enhancement request for tee - please add the option to not quit on SIGPIPE when someother files are still opened
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2015 00:58:18 +0100

Yes, this is the solution I was looking for!

tee -p </dev/zero >(head -c1 | wc -c ) > >(head -c10M | wc -c)

Thanks to everybody to take part in the discussion and finally coming up with the solution.

Could we please add this example to tee's manual page into the EXAMPLE section? If there is anything I can do to make it happen please let me know.

Thanks a lot!
Jirka

On Sat, Nov 21, 2015 at 12:01 AM, Bob Proulx <address@hidden> wrote:
Bernhard Voelker wrote:
> I'm not convinced that a new --no-stdout option is warranted:
> why not simply redirect stdout to the last fifo?
>
>   cat /dev/zero | head -c500M \
>     | (/dev/shm/AAA/coreutils-8.24/src/tee -p \
>          $d/fifo1 $d/fifo2 $d/fifo3 > $d/fifo4 ) 2>&1 \
>     | > tee $d/run.log &

Of course!  It was so obvious that we missed seeing it!  Simply do a
normal redirect of stdout to the process.  Thanks Bernhard for
pointing this out.

This is also true of the >(process substitutions) too.

  echo foo | tee >(sleep 2 && cat) > >(sleep 5 && cat)

This really argues against any need for --no-stdout.  Because if one
wants --no-stdout it means one has forgotten about a normal
redirection.

Bob