Re: minor HTML tag issues in the one-page-per-node online manual

From: Pádraig Brady
Subject: Re: minor HTML tag issues in the one-page-per-node online manual
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2016 12:55:02 +0000

On 29/12/16 04:53, Assaf Gordon wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> While working on a 'date --debug' post,
> I noticed that on at least one page, the HTML tags are broken in the online
> manual.
>
> Perhaps this is a old 'texinfo' bug (I don't see the same when I run 'make
> web-manual' with texinfo 6.3).
>
> An example is:
> https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/html_node/Authors-of-parse_005fdatetime.html
>
> And the culprit are two <meta> tags which are a bit of a mess:

> class="nocodebreak">parse_datetime</span>">
> class="nocodebreak">parse_datetime</span>">
>

> Let me know if you want me to fix it in the webcvs repository directly (or
> perhaps you have a better, automated way).

Good catch.
I updated the manual on a system with texinfo version 6.0
Probably the handiest way to update would be to run the following
from coreutils git on a system with newer texinfo:
  build-aux/gnu-web-doc-update --mirror
Note, pass that an appropriate USER env var if your local user
is different to the doc host

It's probably to early to specify 6.3 as a version requirement
for makeinfo in bootstrap.conf. That's only available in fedora rawhide for
example.
If makeinfo 6.1 was sufficient, then that change would be ok I think.

thanks!
Pádraig