criawips-devel

Re: [devel] Just wondering if this project is still moving forward?

From: Sven Herzberg
Subject: Re: [devel] Just wondering if this project is still moving forward?
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 09:52:06 +0100

I just saw that evo/hula stripped down the original email:

> Also, I was wondering if anyone has given thought to the idea of using
> MagicPoint as the backend of the software leaving you guys to simple
> come up with a proper gtk2 editing and front-end tool?

  This idea came up, but we went ahead without magicpoint because it has
several issues:

* presentations are not stored in a screen-resolution independent format
  (which is not good, imagine you designed a presentation for 1024x768
  and the local beamer just supports 800x600 - which has happened to
  me last year at the Linuxtag in Karlsruhe).
* mgp doesn't use an xml-based file format (we don't want to start
  converting that to the mgp-format on the fly, do we?)
* mgp is quite nice with several features, but it is just a layout
  engine, I took a look at the code and I think it would be just too
  hard to extend it with editing capabilities

> Just a thought.  I do not like using OpenOffice because its so big and
> slow and I prefer a real gtk2 solution.  I use Abiword and Gnumeric so
> criawips would be like the final piece in my Office software puzzle.
>
> Thanks, and good luck.

Thanks,
  Sven
--