cybop-developers

Re: [cybop-developers] UnitTests

From: Christian Heller
Subject: Re: [cybop-developers] UnitTests
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2017 22:20:45 +0100

Hi Enrico,

> Here is an impression how it will look like. This is the context of the
> produced log file. I added a test which will fail.
> I “converted” two existing test-classes in the proposed directory-structure.
[..]

this looks good.

> I used a small hack for having some kind of information if the assert is not
> obviously enough. unfortunately the assert in c is quite restricted, but
> maybe it will serve our purpose.
> Instead of using another framework, we could probably just provide some easy
> to use assert methods.

O.k. I follow your advice.

> I understand your concern and resigned from using another framework. To be
> honest, the c unittest frameworks are just convenient due to the assert
> methods they offer. But to create suites and tests we can use CTest, which
> seems to make a lot of things possible already. I really like the CTest.
> Impressive framework.

O.k. Then go ahead with CTest. Fine.

> Sorry, maybe i was a bit to abstract. With units i meant the smallest element
> in the program. Methods like compare_integer_equal. e.g.
> Please find two examples in the test-directory i created. You can revert the
> commit anytime if you like.

Looks really good.

> Of course i used the one’s which have been easiest to convert into the new
> structure. Just to get an idea.
> You just “complained" in a former email that the unit tests became obsolete
> because the structure changed a lot. I just wanted to state that it is also
> due to the reason that most of the tests are integration tests and use a lot
> of functions from all over.
> Which of course needs a lot of time to maintain, e.g. modifier_test.

I still don't get it completely (difference between "integration-"
and some other kind of test), may be have a knot in my mind.
But all is fine, you don't have to explain it again, just go ahead!

> > I agree. Is it possible to call it in singular, i.e. "test/".
> > Please create this new directory in the CYBOP project's root,
> Done, please have a look!

Does not look too complicated and quite easy to handle.
Good improvement.

Magic, how CMake compiles and creates these executables
and knows about the dependencies on CYBOI source code.

Hint:
Most files in "src/tester/" currently might not work.
So don't worry! They can be updated over time, step-by-step.

> > My suggestion for you:
> > 1 Focus on CMake first, until it works.
> > 2 Afterwards, try to implement (only) one or two unit tests.
> I did it already :)

Well, all-right.
If you like, then move all content from "src/tester/" to "test/".
Once ready, please inform me, so that I can remove the directory
"src/tester/" from SVN and also "src/controller/tester.c"
and moreover the test-related command-line arguments of cyboi.

Cleaning up is always good to keep overview and everything slim.

> What do you think? :)

Great idea and stuff.

Christian