cybop-developers

Re: [cybop-developers] UnitTests

From: Christian Heller
Subject: Re: [cybop-developers] UnitTests
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2017 12:05:18 +0100

Hi Enrico,

> The tests i converted have been really simple, because they did not include
> any other c-files.
> I tried a “complicate” example and converted the unit tests for the integer
> calculation.
>
> It was like hell… Is it that terrible to work with c? I mean, i’m using
> Visual Studio Code with an C-Extension, you probably use eclipse with the CDT
> extension?
> To gather all the includes in the test file, just because the method under
> test “calculate_integer_absolute” uses the logger which has some forward
> declarations was awful.
> In the end the include lists contains now a lot of comparator/memoriser and
> modifier includes. I guess it can’t be helped.

I work with Debian GNU/Linux and KDE desktop using two applications:
- Konsole: compiling and running CYBOL examples
- Krusader: source code editing (internal editor with F4 as in Norton Commander)

For debugging, I add old-style printouts on screen.
IDEs might bring some comfort, but I like focusing on the code.

May be I switch to using Code::Blocks one day. Let's see. See also:
cybop/doc/development/using_codeblocks/

> I just started coding C, so maybe there is a better way to provide the
> includes in the INTEGER_CALCULATOR_TESTER_SOURCE
> I appreciate any ideas for improvement.

The CYBOI source code module (file) dependencies are unidirectional and
quite straightforward. Almost no circular dependencies. If they couldn't
be avoided to to recursive processing in a deserialiser/parser or the
like, I added a forward declaration.

I remember a student group having trouble using Visual Studio with CYBOI.
Mike Feustel (IT 2011) & Co. Unfortunately I don't have his email address.
See project file in: cybop/ide/visualstudio/
Study the documentation under:
cybop/doc/development/win32_visual_studio_migration/
I remember they had problems with the includes as well.
In the end, it was one switch in the IDE or they statically added
all modules to the project or something. Sorry, I don't remember.

BTW, there was also a student using Apple and xcode, see:
cybop/ide/xcodeproj/cybop.xcodeproj/
Don't know if this is relevant to you. But you may contact him at:
Markus Hinkelmann <address@hidden>
He is still on this mailing list.

Christian