dazuko-devel

[Dazuko-devel] Linux 2.6

From: John Ogness
Subject: [Dazuko-devel] Linux 2.6
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 15:12:51 +0100

Hi,

Over the weekend I set up a Linux 2.6-test11 system and began porting
Dazuko. Everything went fairly smoothly. I was able to compile Dazuko as
a security model, insert it into the kernel, and print out access
events. What still remains to do is:

1. setting up the /dev/dazuko device
This is a bit tricky because I have not yet learned how this is done in
the new kernel. devfs is apparently now obsolete, meaning I am supposed
to use sysfs? I need to do a lot of reading to find out about this out.

2. implementing wait_queues, mutexes, name structures, etc
Although the structures themselves do not appear to have changed too
much, I need to go through and make sure I can achieve the same
functionality with the new 2.6 stuff.

3. security model testing
One of the problems I am having with the new security model is that I am
not sure which hooks I am supposed to use. For example, I am concerned
that I will not be able to distinguish between ON_OPEN and ON_CLOSE
events. I will continue testing the various hooks out until I find the
ones that make me happy. :)

If anyone has any good information/HOWTO's about sysfs (or how devices
*should* be implemented under Linux 2.6) I would appreciate it.

John Ogness

--
Dazuko Maintainer