dazuko-devel

[Dazuko-devel] Dazuko 2.0.0 Released (and birthday!)

From: John Ogness
Subject: [Dazuko-devel] Dazuko 2.0.0 Released (and birthday!)
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 00:31:18 +0100

Hi,

Today (Feb 5) is Dazuko's birthday! 2 years old! For this special occasion I am very happy to announce the official release of Dazuko version 2.0.0. This version is truly a landmark in the history of Dazuko. The introduction of the abstraction layer, the new key/value device protocol, and the use of write() instead of ioctl() are major changes that will enable Dazuko to quickly advance to new platforms and allow for problem-free future expansion.

This new version also introduces a "call_" layer. For example, rather than xp_malloc() being directly called, the XP layer now calls call_xp_malloc(). This extra "call_" layer checks the arguments before calling the real function and checks the return values before they are returned. If problems exist (for example, kmalloc() returns NULL), then this information is output as warning messages. Although these situations are properly handled in the XP layer, this extra check provides additional information for a "just in case" scenario. Since these functions are inlined by the compiler, they have a minimal affect on performance.

I have also changed the package structure a bit. The Java interface has been integrated into the main package and the example programs have been moved into example_c and example_java sub-directories. Each of these directories has their own Makefile.

I have labeled 2.0.0 as stable. I am very comfortable with this version and recommend that all Dazuko 1.x developers make the switch. This version provides more features, more information with more events, has more safety checks, and runs on more platforms.

Dazuko's TODO list seems to be growing faster than it is shrinking. Some very important items have come up recently and I will need to prioritize (and make public) a plan of how we should proceed. Now that 2.0.0 is out, focus can be moved away from debugging/testing and moved back into new features.

This last year has been very exciting. I can hardly wait to see what this year brings. :)

John Ogness

--
Dazuko Maintainer