dazuko-devel

[Dazuko-devel] dazukoSetAccessMask Attributes: ON_CREATE, ON_MKDIR (Feat

From: karel van ijperen
Subject: [Dazuko-devel] dazukoSetAccessMask Attributes: ON_CREATE, ON_MKDIR (Feature request)
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 22:11:30 +0100

Good evening Dazuko Developers,

After some research I found that the Dazuko module could be excellent for one of my future (non security related) project's... if it included two more functionalities: Monitor whether the open() syscall created a new file or just opened an existing one, and when a directory has been made. I guess that the later one is the easiest to implement, however I have not done any kernel level development so I do not know about the hook's, or other things that are involved in adding this feature but I think that they are not supported for file creation in linux. Therefore it might be a daunting task to implement it. If this is the case please inform me on this so I can figure it out myself and maybe even send a patch and inform you guy's. The last thing I want is keeping the Dazuko comunity busy with new features and kernel hacking, as the time is more needed for making it ready for production systems (sort of quote from the dutch Linux magazine) and security related features/issues as this is what Dazuko is created for.

The reason I need this is because my project will be a daemon that updates the [s]locate databases real time (or buffer till [s]locate is called and than write to the databases) this way the [s]locate database includes just installed files in it's search and the system does not suffer a performance hit when my cron deamon updates my databases. Only when something goes terebly wrong or when directories included in the [s]locate are managed outside the presence of my deamon (for instance in a dual boot system) updatedb needs to be runned. For this daemon to work it need's to know when unlink() is called or when open() creates a new hardlink, when directories are created and removed and possibly when [s]locate is run (for emergency buffer flushing). That is what i want Dazuko to do for me. There may be little to no impact on system performance, if this is not possible the project will be dropped.

It is the first time I signed up on any mailing list, I did not want to force you devers to go though any preceding chatter either, therefore I am very sorry if it bothered anyone that I did not properly introduce myself and cut to the chase. Please contact me trough e-mail at address@hidden or IRC on irc.freenode.net (nickname SpaT) where I am often present.

Kind regards,

Spat