dazuko-devel

Re: [Dazuko-devel] DazukoFS 3.0.0-rc1 posted - nullfs problems on openSu

From: John Ogness
Subject: Re: [Dazuko-devel] DazukoFS 3.0.0-rc1 posted - nullfs problems on openSuSE 11.0
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 22:11:02 +0200

On 2008-09-29, jim burns <address@hidden> wrote:
> 1) Do you know if avira will come out with an antivir that works
>    with dazukofs?

I posted my thoughts on this question as a response to another thread:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/dazuko-devel/2008-10/msg00003.html

> 2) SuSE has a dazuko .src.rpm based on redirfs-0.2 and dazuko
>    2.3.4.4 (presumably 2.3.5-pre1, to support redirfs), hence it's a
>    little out of date, plus building it against the current
>    2.6.25.16 kernel works, but the modules don't load, with unknown
>    symbol errors. The .src.rpm was originally designed against
>    2.6.25.5.

SuSE is interested in making sure that Dazuko is available on their
distribution. As far as I know, they are interested in pursuing the
redirfs/dazuko direction to maintain support for Dazuko. If you are
interested in using the SuSE kernel, then I recommend also using the
Dazuko package provided by SuSE.

> 3) Building the tarballs for dazuko 2.3.6-pre2 and redirfs-0.3
>    works, and the modules load, but antivir complains
>    "antivir[29092]: Error: Unable to setup Dazuko parameters" - I
>    get the feeling it can't talk to /dev/dazuko, which has major
>    250.

I do not know why antivir would be having a problem. If the module
loads (and the example program works), then antivir should be
happy. The Dazuko interface was not changed in 2.3.6-pre2. I recommend
contacting Avira support for this issue.

> 4) I can't get any version of nullfs to compile on openSuSE
>    11.0. Have you tried that combination? The error for nullfs 0.0.1
>    is simpler than later versions. 0.0.2-0.0.4 errors look similar
>    to...

The various nullfs versions were developed to support the following
kernels from kernel.org:

nullfs 0.0.1 -> Linux 2.6.21
nullfs 0.0.2 -> Linux 2.6.25
nullfs 0.0.3 -> Linux 2.6.25
nullfs 0.0.4 -> Linux 2.6.26

Although your kernel seems to be based on Linux 2.6.25, it obviously
uses a modified VFS API.

Since the new DazukoFS 3.0.0-rcX is identical to nullfs when no groups
have been added, I prefer to deal with this issue in respect to
DazukoFS and no longer work with nullfs.

John Ogness

--
Dazuko Maintainer