ddd

Re: SIGSEGV for stack growth failure on HP-UX

From: Lutz Jaenicke
Subject: Re: SIGSEGV for stack growth failure on HP-UX
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 01:25:49 +0100

On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 04:06:07PM -0800, Freddy Jensen wrote:
> Does anyone know what the possible problem could
> be when I get this error on HP-UX:
>
> Pid 29493 received a SIGSEGV for stack growth failure.
> Possible causes: insufficient memory or swap space,
> or stack size exceeded maxssiz.
>
> It happens when I launch ddd-3.3 on HP-UX 10.20
>
> It sounds like there is some environemnt variable
> that I need to set to increase the stacksize, or
> could it be something I need to set when I build
> the program?
> The machine should have plenty of memory and swapspace,
> I think it has 256 MBytes of ram and 500MB of swapspace.

The HP-UX kernel has a default stack size of 8MB(?) per process.
You need to extend maxssiz and recompile the kernel (and reboot).
You can use SAM to do this.
(While at it, check out the maxdsiz parameter for the maximum amount
of data a program can use. It depends on your applications, if the
default of 64MB is enough or not.)

Best regards,
        Lutz
--