ddd

Re: SIGSEGV for stack growth failure on HP-UX

From: Freddy Jensen
Subject: Re: SIGSEGV for stack growth failure on HP-UX
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 10:58:39 -0800

   >From: Tim Mooney <address@hidden>
   >Date: Fri Mar 23 2001 10:41am
   >To:   Lutz Jaenicke <address@hidden>
   >Cc: <address@hidden>
   >Subj: Re: SIGSEGV for stack growth failure on HP-UX
   >
   >In regard to: Re: SIGSEGV for stack growth failure on HP-UX, Lutz
Jaenicke...:

   >>> It sounds like there is some environemnt variable
   >>> that I need to set to increase the stacksize, or
   >>> could it be something I need to set when I build
   >>> the program?
   >>> The machine should have plenty of memory and swapspace,
   >>> I think it has 256 MBytes of ram and 500MB of swapspace.
   >>
   >>The HP-UX kernel has a default stack size of 8MB(?) per process.
   >>You need to extend maxssiz and recompile the kernel (and reboot).
   >>You can use SAM to do this.
   >>(While at it, check out the maxdsiz parameter for the maximum amount
   >>of data a program can use. It depends on your applications, if the
   >>default of 64MB is enough or not.)
   >
   >These are good suggestions, but I would check the shell limits first.
   >It might just be that the default shell limits are what's causing the
   >problem.
   >
   >Assuming Freddy uses `ksh' or `bash' as his shell, doing a
   >
   >    ulimit -a
   >
   >followed by reading the man page for ulimit and trying to up all his
   >personal limits to the max may be worth trying.
   >
   >It may very well be that he has to resort to upping the kernel params
   >themselves, but I would try turning the smaller knob first.
   >
   >Tim
   >--
   >Tim Mooney                              address@hidden
   >Information Technology Services         (701) 231-1076 (Voice)
   >Room 242-J1, IACC Building              (701) 231-8541 (Fax)
   >North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND 58105-5164

Well, I threw gdb at ddd to see if I could figure out why
it seg-faulted, and the seg-fault was in libcurses, so as
an experiment I relinked ddd with a static libcurses,
/usr/lib/libHcurses.a (I also liked Motif statically),
and then all of a sudden everything worked.

I first tried to up the limits with ulimit -h but that
did not make any difference.

Apparently there are some weird problems with dynamic
libraries on HP-UX.

Freddy