ddd

Re: readline: warning: turning on OPOST for terminal

From: Tim Mooney
Subject: Re: readline: warning: turning on OPOST for terminal
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 13:01:01 -0600 (CST)

In regard to: Re: readline: warning: turning on OPOST for terminal, Tim...:

>>readline: warning: turning on OPOST for terminal

>>Does anyone know what this warning means?

>When Chet Ramey was going through the bash 2.00 beta cycle several years
>ago, a friend and I were on the developer's list for bash, and ran into
>a lot of weird problems with it and terminal modes on our AIX 4.x systems.
>Chet had us try a whole bunch of things, but it eventually came down to
>AIX having some rather weird defaults for stty settings when you allocate
>a new pseudo-terminal.  To work around the problem, Chet added code to
>readline (used internally by bash, and by lots of other programs) to detect
>when `opost' mode is not on for an interactive terminal, and to turn it on.
>It also spits out the warning.

Following up to my own post is somewhat bad style, but I forgot to
include an important bit of trivia with this.

When we were debugging this problem, both my office-mate and I ended up
spending quite a bit of time using ddd. The time frame for when this was
going on was December 1995 / May 1996.  I couldn't remember the version
of ddd we were using, but being a pack-rat I looked through my bash folder
and actually found some of the mail that had been exchanged regarding this
problem.

It was ddd 1.4d, and it was at that point that I knew that ddd was going
to be my friend for a long, long time.  :-)

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              address@hidden
Room 242-J1, IACC Building              (701) 231-8541 (Fax)