ddd

Re: unable to build DDD - missing cr

From: J.H.M. Dassen (Ray)
Subject: Re: unable to build DDD - missing cr
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 08:10:06 +0100

On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 15:55:50 -0800, Liz Trojan wrote:
>    There seems to be an undocumented dependency called cr.

No.

> rm -f libreadline.a
> cr libreadline.a readline.o vi_mode.o funmap.o keymaps.o parens.o search.o
> rltty.o complete.o bind.o isearch.o display.o signals.o util.o kill.o undo.o
> macro.o input.o callback.o terminal.o nls.o xmalloc.o history.o histexpand.o
> histfile.o histsearch.o shell.o  tilde.o

This was generated from the following line in readline/Makefile.in:
        $(AR) $(ARFLAGS) $@ $(OBJECTS)

'cr' is a set of flags for the archiver command ar(1) which is included in
the GNU binutils and should be available on any Un*x system that's
configured for software building.

As a workaround, you could try if "cd readline && make AR=ar" finishes
building readline.

A proper fix would involve finding out why AR was set to an empty value
(e.g. "cd readlien && ./configure -v", then examine both the output of the
configure script and the config.log file that's generated).

HTH,
Ray
--
Pinky, Are You Pondering What I'm Pondering?
I think so Brain, but "instant karma" always gets so lumpy.