ddd

Re: Cannot run ddd after complied

From: Tim Combs
Subject: Re: Cannot run ddd after complied
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 08:07:31 -0600

"app-defaults" or  application defaults are a way in the X-Windows
system to customize the system.  Without application defaults DDD
won't know how big to make windows, what fonts to use and so on.
When an X program starts up it opens up a file and reads in the default
values for the application.  In DDD that file is called "Ddd".

Under X and Unix (Linux) systems, the application default files will
be placed in a directory and then you set an environment variable to
point to that directory and DDD will go out and read that file.

To avoid that DDD (and other X Windows program) will allow the user
to take that application defaults file and set those defaults as
constants inside of the program instead of looking for a file outside of DDD.
If you follow step 3 of DDD's help that was in the previous email then
that will be done automagically for you.

For more information about the X windows system and how it works you
can look here: http://www.chemie.fu-berlin.de/chemnet/general/aboutx.html
and I am sure there are many other Web resources available.

Cheers!
Tim