ddd

Re: Using DDD with an arm-elf-gdb

From: apgaylard
Subject: Re: Using DDD with an arm-elf-gdb
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 12:20:38 GMT

> Hi,
>
> I want to use DDD with an arm-elf-gdb. Either with a remote embedded
> eCos target or with a Simulator.
> I am running SUSE 8.2 and developing an eCos application.
>
> - do i have to rebuild ddd to suite the ARM architecture?
> - Is there a FAQ or HowTo about this issue?
> - Can you point me to a manual?
>

> I searched ddd's documentation but i could not find that(i could only
> find a remote debugging howto, but it was using gdb and not the arm elf
> version.
>
> Any help woulb be appreciated.

This should work almost "out of the box" (famous last words...)

I'm surprised the manual didn't help you.  Do you have the
full Texinfo/DVI/PDF/PS manual?  It should be out there somewhere.
The next release of DDD which is coming in the next couple of
days, will include the source to it.  Currently, only the
ps is distributed (if I remember correctly).

DDD works by sending commands to gdb, and parsing the results.
That means if your cross-debugger is running locally and
communicating with your embedded device via a stup, then
DDD doesn't care at all that your gdb is a native or a cross
debugger; the commands are still the same.  All you need to do
is to run

    ddd --help,

which tells you (among other things):

    --debugger CMD     Invoke inferior debugger as CMD.

So, to answer your questions:

1. No; ddd doesn't need to know about the target.
2. It's in the manual.
3. The manual should be in the source distribution
   (if it isn't, please let me know, and I'll fix it).

Andrew.

This message was sent using M-Web Airmail - JUST LIKE THAT
Get an SMS sent to your phone when you receive an email and save time and money.
M-Web members only. http://www.mweb.co.za/mobile .