ddd

Re: Q: Sun DBX fixes for DDD

From: Tim Mooney
Subject: Re: Q: Sun DBX fixes for DDD
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 10:18:41 -0500 (CDT)

In regard to: Re: Q: Sun DBX fixes for DDD, Andrew Gaylard said (at 8:32pm...:

I'm concerned that the HAVE_SUNDBX won't be set unless the person
building the code knows to do it.

- Will these fixes break other dbx versions if they are not
 protected by HAVE_SUNDBX?  (I know that Tru64 and Irix use dbx,
 and perhaps other Unixes too.)
- If so, then perhaps an autoconf setting would ease the build process:
 "--enable-sun-dbx" or something similar.
- If not, then we can remove them.

I'm reluctant to have this setting detected by autoconf, since
many ddd users will run it on one platform via rsh or ssh to their
target platform where the inferior debugger runs.  Thus if a non-
Solaris machine runs ddd and connects to a Solaris machine with
dbx, then it has no way of knowing...

It's been a long time since I looked at the code, but at one time didn't
ddd try to autodetect which flavor of DBX it was talking to?   IIRC it
sent certain commands to dbx to see how it would respond, and then
instantiated a specific subclass of the main "how to deal with DBX" class.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              address@hidden