ddd

Re: Q: Sun DBX fixes for DDD

From: Andrew Gaylard
Subject: Re: Q: Sun DBX fixes for DDD
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 20:32:49 +0200

Ingo Dahm wrote:
Hi Andrew,

attd. the diffs and - for completness - the complete files. Please let me know
if i can test some other stuff, if you need it.

The stuff compiles correctly if HAVE_SUNDBX set (most likly through config.h,
but i don't know how to do that best). Threads will be enabled and the nasty
jump to the top of the file after setting a breakpoint is ''disabled'' :-)

Cheers

        -ingo

PS: Please use the email address above in the future.

Thanks for these patches!   I have integrated them into the tree.
They will go into 3.3.10, when it is released.

I'm concerned that the HAVE_SUNDBX won't be set unless the person
building the code knows to do it.

- Will these fixes break other dbx versions if they are not
  protected by HAVE_SUNDBX?  (I know that Tru64 and Irix use dbx,
  and perhaps other Unixes too.)
- If so, then perhaps an autoconf setting would ease the build process:
  "--enable-sun-dbx" or something similar.
- If not, then we can remove them.

I'm reluctant to have this setting detected by autoconf, since
many ddd users will run it on one platform via rsh or ssh to their
target platform where the inferior debugger runs.  Thus if a non-
Solaris machine runs ddd and connects to a Solaris machine with
dbx, then it has no way of knowing...

Anyway, these are just some thoughts.

Thanks for your help improving ddd!

Regards,