ddd

Re: displaying structs of the linux kernel in ddd

From: Andrew Gaylard
Subject: Re: displaying structs of the linux kernel in ddd
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 16:55:35 +0200

address@hidden wrote:
Hello,

I have a question concerning displaying structures from the linux kernel. I am actually debugging the linux kernel remotely via a serial connection using kgdb. On my development machine (target machine is the one which is debugged) I run "ddd vmlinux" and it connects to the remote machine when I issue the command remote target /dev/ttyS0 all right. Then I can set up breakpoints in the source files and can browse among them and I can make debugging step-by- step. However, when I try display a structure from the linux kernel (e.g. sk_buff), ddd fails to show it (only its address is shown). I tried to recompile all the kernel with -g added to any FLAGS possible and I also included frame-pointers: -fno-omit-frame-pointers but no use.

Anybody could give any help, would be appreciated.

Regards,
Gabor

The first question is:  What type is the pointer?  If it's a void, then
gdb (and kgdb) won't be able to show it.  Use "whatis ptr" to see what
the underlying debugger thinks it is.

If it does have a proper type, then there may be a bug in ddd.  In this
case, try using "ddd --trace" to see what informatin the debugger is
providing to ddd.

Andrew.