demexp-dev

Re: [Demexp-dev] A comment on Drupal interface used for votes

From: Augustin
Subject: Re: [Demexp-dev] A comment on Drupal interface used for votes
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 17:10:56 +0800

On Monday 09 October 2006 04:05 pm, David MENTRE wrote:
> Hello Augustin,
>
> When voting through the demexp interface, I don't like much the
> approach of having multiple drop-downs menus:
>
>  * it won't support tens of anwers (this is a bug);
>
>  * this is not very convenient to use.
>
> I would much prefer to have two lists, my vote and available answers,
> and moving from one to the other.

I agree with you that the ballot design can be improved. I wanted to speak
about that later, anyway. Later, I will speak about ElectoWidget, and some
good ideas that we can copy from this project, about election methods and
ballot design.

The thing is that the cgi script you point to relies exclusively on
javascript.
We already agreed that there should be a non-javascript solution working
first, for people who don't wish to have javascript enabled (or cannot have
it enabled - it is also an accessibility problem).
If you can think of a better html-only design, I'll implement it. Actually, I
know of one, but it is not compatible with your server, so that's the best I
can do for now.

Also, may I remind you that I said I don't know javascript, and I don't wish
to spend the time to learn now. I am hoping that by getting more exposure,
other developers will join us. Certainly, there will be one volunteer who
will be able to provide us with a nice javascript layer, on top of the html
layer.

Remember what I said about the chicken-egg problem: if we want more
developers, we must become better known and more used. That's why stage 1
must be implemented soon.

So, I agree with you, the design is not optimal. But it works for now.
What I CAN do, is make the ballot shorter, by removing the line breaks.

Instead of having:

Your choice nb 1:
 SELECT
Your choice nb 2:
 SELECT
Your choice nb 3:
 SELECT

We can have:

nb 1: SELECT
nb 2: SELECT
nb 3: SELECT

Shall I do that?

A simple change that can make a little difference.

Augustin.

--
http://www.wechange.org/
Because we and the world need to change.

http://www.reuniting.info/
Intimate Relationships, peace and harmony in the couple.

http://www.gnosis-usa.com/
Revolutionary Psychology, White Tantrism, Dream Yoga...

http://www.masquilier.org/
Condorcet, Approval alternative, better voting methods.