demexp-dev

[Demexp-dev] Re: Before merging ketty's branch

From: David MENTRE
Subject: [Demexp-dev] Re: Before merging ketty's branch
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 08:33:05 +0200

Hi Ketty,

2006/10/12, ketty . <address@hidden>:
On 10/12/06, David MENTRE <address@hidden> wrote:
> 1. why do you create a web/po/ directory instead of using po/
>     directory? I don't like spreading po files all over the
>     sources. Moreover, you have created web/po/Makefile. Once again, I
>     prefer having a single Makefile at the top of the source tree;

I wanted be able to translate only the web client or the gtk client without
having to wade through the strings of the other one. Is this possible with
one po/ dir?

I don't think so, or at least not easily. I understand it is a bit
cumbersome to look for only the strings of your web interface in the
whole po file but it makes the whole source tree and build system a
lot cleaner, I think.

Could you change that so I can start to merge your work?

> 2. You have kept the call to Obj.magic;

Please provide a patch on how to avoid both using Obj.magic and making a lot
of hard to find bugs. :)

Ok, I'll try.

> 3. Be careful when recompiling the sources, gettext has a tendency to
>     add its headers, even if they are already there. That makes the .po
>     files messy. You should do a 'hg revert po/file' before doing a
>     commit if the file was not modified (or edit it manually
>     otherwise).
>
>     For example in changeset 434:

Yes, i have noticed this. I think the Makefile should be changed not to
update the po files automatically. Then you could call for example "make
update-po" as a part of the translation process instead.

That make sens, I'll try to do that.

> 4. There isn't much litterate comments; ;-)
[...]
Hm, maybe comments are of best quality if at first leaved out and then you
added them after you had forgotten what you tried to do and you had to
figure it out again? ;-)

Maybe... the thing is to really add comments at one point in the future! :-D

Best wishes,
d.