demexp-dev

[Demexp-dev] Re: How to handle protocol modifications. Delegation.

From: ketty
Subject: [Demexp-dev] Re: How to handle protocol modifications. Delegation.
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 13:23:07 +0200

On 10/16/06, David MENTRE <address@hidden> wrote:
> Things i think is missing from the protocol:
> * Deletion of tags / questions / responses.
> * Delegation.

Don't say that! Frédéric is asking me to add that for years, day after day! :-D

More seriously, the issue in delegation is not much the protocol than
the way to handle delegation on the server. If you are interested, I
have given in the past an example that shows the issues in delegation.
See the link in the wiki:
   http://demexp.org/en/doku.php?id=delegation

It seems like all problems steams from trying to delegete a search criteria that might overlap with another criteria.
Two easy solutions are:
1. only allow delegation in a single question.
2. don't allow overlaping criteria.

I like the second one. If you tried to do a delegation that could conflict with a previous one the server simply answered "InvalidCriteria". A criteria would have to be boolean expressions if you wanted to create (more than one) valid ones.