Re: [Denemo-devel] The rhythm/pitch overlay patch.

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] The rhythm/pitch overlay patch.
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 08:07:39 +0100

The patch I submitted was made immediately after checking out the
savannah repository (well, it took several hours to do what with one
thing and another). Do I understand you to have built denemo with my
patch and that everything worked ok? That would be comforting news for
me!
Yesterday I used it to input 100 measures of "Greensleeves to a Ground"
which I only have in a grotty over-edited edition from the '50's. The
new code worked very nicely, but then I understand how it works. I think
making it easier to see what's going on, and restraining the user from
doing useless things might be good. For example, when doing pitch
recognition with the overlay system it doesn't matter where the cursor
is in the measure, the notes are entered into a list at the current
measure. Consequently it is not helpful that you can position the cursor
anywhere in the measure, it communicates the wrong thing. The other
thing I noticed was that if you forget to move on to the next measure
you get no warning. I wonder about getting the program to warn you with
a gdk_beep. You will expect this if there has been a spurious note or if
you missplayed something (and you can fix it straight away if you like).
The pitch recognition system could ignore the gdk_beep in the input (or
use headphones or ...)