Re: [Denemo-devel] Running Denemo from the tcl interpreter

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Running Denemo from the tcl interpreter
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:50:48 +0100

On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 09:02 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> > I am back home, but won't try and post up a
> > summary yet, but I am sure we are on a good track now
The bad news is that we are on a very lonely track. Swig is not built
for what we are trying to do. Specifically it does not expect the
program it is interfacing to to be event driven. So if we wanted to
write a script that opens a .denemo file, did various operations saved
it and exited, we could use the source files we have to create a library
of routines, with main() being replaced by an initialization but ending
with running a script, not running gtk_main_loop() and this would do the
job.
But this is not at all what we had in mind.
This may not be fatal for the Swig approach, but whereas a couple of
hours would have been enough we may need a couple of days, and we may
lose something (e.g. multiple scripting languages), elegance, sanity...

It may be good to look for something that is designed for what we want
to do: we would like to be able to pass over a series of function calls
(associated with names) to an interpreter object and then give the
interpreter a script and have it execute the functions, using its own
local storage for doing things like loops etc.
This seems to me a fairly simple and sane thing to do, so I think we
would be foolish to imagine we need to be setting foot into uncharted
territory.
I am not very good at looking & asking though...