Re: [Denemo-devel] A breakthru

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] A breakthru
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 17:40:51 +0100

On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 08:58 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 10:35 +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
> > I have just solved some long-standing problems in Denemo, which it turns
> > out were due to actions not acquiring their proxy widgets at startup but
> > on demand. I am ready to go now with custom scripts loaded as menu items
> > with shortcuts etc.
> > I need an understanding of EXTRA_DIST in autoconf, as we will need to
> > install a hierarchy of custom menus without specifying all the contents
> > of the directories in the configure.in (or whatever its called), any
> > guidance would be welcome.
>
> I just changed doc/images/Makefile.am to this:
>

> imagedir = $(datadir)/${PACKAGE}/manual/images
> dist_image_DATA = ./*

hmm, I am not sure this will quite do the trick, because we will not
know how many levels of hierarchy there are.
(I don't think I've properly explained what I am up to: it occurred to
me that when someone writes some scripts to do, say, guitar fingerings,
what they need to do is put the new menu items in the menu hierarchy, so
that people can find it by navigating logically. So, for this example,
they will want to put a menu Instruments under ObjectMenu, and under
that will come guitar (as well as percussion ...). Under that would come
fingerings, other things for guitar support...
Now when we install the package there will appear

/usr/local/share/denemo/actions/menus/ObjectMenu/Instruments/Guitar/Fingerings/1...5

and you will be able to import a chunk of this into your Default command
set.
Even better, we can keep this hierarchy on the internet, so that we can
add to it between releases, so that, within the program you can go off
and explore for a useful set of commands on denemo.org to do -- well you
name it -- Educational->AuralTraining->...
So for this reason, I want to be able to install the whole hierarchy of
directories and files below denemo/actions
without having to specify what is there in Makefile.am files.
At the GNU hackers conference there was an autoconf expert giving a talk
and I asked him, and that is how I came to know about EXTRA_DIST, which
is apparently the tool for the job.)

Can we do this? My tentative effort does not do it.