Re: [Denemo-devel] Showing lilypond text editing window

From: Neil Johnson
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Showing lilypond text editing window
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 19:27:45 -0600

I'm getting a lot of warnings and error messages in the compiled
version because the "make install" function ended in errors that I
haven't resolved yet.  So, I ran it in the src folder by typing
./denemo, and it launched okay, but with lots of errors (can't load
many of the Gtk widgets).  However, there also seem to be missing
widgets in the binary version.  I don't remember there being install
errors when I originally installed the binary, but that was because I
used Synaptic to download and install it for me.

Looking more closely at the functions, there certainly is content in
the callback function for toggle_lilytext.  I must have searched for
the wrong thing or something.  However, the menu item doesn't show up.
 I ran the binary denemo and piped the messages to a file.  The stdout
gave the following:

Start STDOUT:

BinReloc failed to initialize:
Domain: 1 (GBinReloc)
Code: 4
Message: Binary relocation support is disabled.
----------------

GNU Denemo, a gtk+ frontend for GNU Lilypond
(c) 1999-2005 Matthew Hiller, Adam Tee, and others

This program is provided with absolutely NO WARRANTY; see
the file COPYING for details.

This software may be redistributed and modified under the
terms of the GNU General Public License; again, see the file
COPYING for details.

RootElem Denemo
Lilypond Path lilypond
midiplayer timidity
Audioplayer play
Help Browser mozilla
Autosave Timeout 5
Csound Command csound -dm6
RootElem Denemo
Lilypond Path lilypond
midiplayer timidity
Audioplayer play
Csound Command csound -dm6
Autosave Timeout 1
Autosave Parts 1
Help Browser firefox
systemwide = /usr/local/share/denemo/denemo.keymaprc
Trying local file /home/neil/.denemo/keymaprc as xml...RootElem Denemo
..ok.
hiding tool bar

END STDOUT

Standard error yielded:

START STDERROR:

(denemo:9677): Gtk-WARNING **: Refusing to add non-unique action
'GoToMeasure' to action group 'MenuActions'

(denemo:9677): Gtk-WARNING **: Refusing to add non-unique action 'Rest
entry' to action group 'MenuActions'

(denemo:9677): Gtk-WARNING **: Refusing to add non-unique action
'Other' to action group 'MenuActions'

(denemo:9677): Gtk-WARNING **: Refusing to add non-unique action
'NextRhythm' to action group 'MenuActions'

** (denemo:9677): WARNING **: Empty children node found in keymap file

Cannot get info on soundcard: Invalid argument

END STDERROR

Once again, this is 0.7.8.  I'll keep digging and see if I can resolve
my "make install" issues.  I may post an email about that if it keeps
giving me troubles.  Thanks,

Neil

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 2:20 AM, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 23:33 -0600, Neil Johnson wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am running denemo on a Ubuntu machine, and it is a great
>> program...exactly what I've been looking for for years now.  I've done
>> some entry into denemo, and found that things work as expected most of
>> the time.  However, occasionally, there are errors in the lilypond
>> output.  I read in the docs that there is supposed to be a lilypond
>> text editing window that is accessible in the View menu...well, it
>> doesn't exist on my machine.  I went ahead and grabbed the source and
>> got it compiling.  I looked in view.c and sure enough, there's a
>> callback function for "toggle_lilytext", but it doesn't call
>> anything...
> ??surely, you are not saying it looks like this:
>
> /**
>  *  Function to toggle the visibility of the LilyPond text window. It
> refreshes
>  *  the text if needed
>  */
> static void
> toggle_lilytext (GtkAction * action, gpointer param) {}
>
> ???There is a body to this function in the source code - essentially it
> calls
>
> gtk_widget_show(gui->textwindow);
> or
> gtk_widget_hide(gui->textwindow);
>
> which shows/hides the lilypond text.
>
>> and the menu item doesn't even appear in my menu.
>>  Am I
>> missing something?  I'm using version 0.7.9 (my current compiled
>> version from git) and I've also installed the binary for version
>> 0.7.8.  The same thing happens in both.  Is this distro-specific?
> It is difficult to imagine what could be happening. What messages are
> you getting in the terminal window when you launch Denemo? There will be
> some (spurious) messages about the LilyPond actions, which I hope to get
> rid of for the next release, but I would expect to see more of the kind.

Neil Johnson
Systems Engineer
Procerus Technologies
801-437-0805 (work)